What kind of results might emerge in your organisation?
My job adversely effects my health & wellbeing
2 in 5 respondents reported work adversely affected their health & wellbeing.
The Index: The Health and Safety Index enables organisations to simply measure, focus and act on improvements that matter. This assessment covers Safety Leadership, Engagement, Systems and Health & Wellbeing.
Context: The Health and Safety Index received over 120,000 responses and across several Australian and New Zealand industries during 2020. As we reflect on Health and Safety Index results, there are many Health & Wellbeing lessons learnt which are worth sharing and comparing to research1, i.e., Job Demand + Job Resource = Work Outcomes.
Job Demands + Job Resources =
Worker Outcomes Model
Health and Wellbeing Results 2020 SummaryDownload
Top Three Health & Wellbeing Results:
- Setting expectations
- Safe workplace conditions
- Ability to talk with supervisors.
Lowest Three Health & Wellbeing Results:
- Effectively managing change
- Praise and recognition
- Realistic time pressures.
Most Correlated Factors Adversely Impacting on Health & Wellbeing:
- Supervisor support
- Safe workplace conditions.
Based on our 2020 survey results, these factors provide the highest predictors of health & wellbeing performance.
Based on Health and Safety Index results and our experience, we believe “training” is often not the silver bullet to improve health and wellbeing. Noting every organisation has different needs, Health and Safety Index results in 2020 conclude the following areas of focus are extremely useful in improving health and wellbeing:
- Values & Beliefs – Promoting positive values and beliefs, effectively managing workplace bullying and personal respect. In addition, setting clear expectations by linking job goals with organisational strategy
- Trust in Leadership – Leadership coaching and development. This includes effective feedback to reinforce or redirect behaviour.
- Management of Change – Effective and genuine consultation, setting clear expectations on change and managing uncertainty.
- Job Control – Providing realistic time pressures, expectations, providing reasonable levels of job autonomy and decision-making freedom.
To better understand your organisation unique health & wellbeing areas of focus or the broader set of Health and Safety Index 2020 results, contact us [email protected]
- Jennifer D. Nahrgang, Safety at Work: A Meta-Analytical Investigation of Link Between Job Demands, Job Resources, Burnout, Engagement and Safety Outcomes. Journal of Applied Psychology, DOI: 10.1037/a0021484