The latest data from the Health & Safety Index as of the end of June 2023 provides insights into the challenges faced by contractors. The key findings reveal that compared to employees:
- Feel pressured to compromise safety to complete a job – 19% worse with contractors
- Witnessing colleagues compromise safety – all for the sake of shortcuts – 12% worse with contractors
- Observed workers violate health and safety rules – 10% worse with contractors
Further, bullying, walking past unacceptable behaviors, and realistic time pressures also contributed to the lower results observed among contractors.
Health and Wellbeing
The Health and Wellbeing result of 80% was the lowest of all four Aspects as of the end of June 2023 Contractor results. A mismatch between Job Demands and Job Resources led to an impact on Worker Outcomes. Specifically, the lowest results for contractors include adverse effects of the job on their health and wellbeing (52%) and its negative impact on their ability to sleep (61%). This underscores the need for immediate attention to improve the working conditions and overall wellbeing of contractors.
Levers for Action
In light of these findings, the following key Levers for action have been identified:
- Values and Beliefs. Promote a work culture that values safety as an integral part of every task, thereby reducing the likelihood of shortcuts and unacceptable behaviours that jeopardize safety for contractors.
- Accountability. Maintain a safe work environment by holding each other accountable for health and safety behaviours, which contributes to a safer workplace for contractors.
- Change Management. Create a more inclusive and collaborative workplace environment where contractors are actively involved and consulted in workplace changes.
By implementing these Levers for action, we can work toward a safer and more supportive work environment for all contractors.
If you feel your organisation needs help understanding their unique focus areas and Levers for action – then get in touch with us today to find out how we can help.